At Downforce Technologies, our mission is to make every hectare of land count towards achieving global climate, biodiversity and food security goals. Healthy soils are critical in that process. Our platform is able to measure levels of soil carbon and natural capital remotely at unparalleled levels of accuracy and scale.
We are a fast-growing startup backed by the Australian Government’s Clean Energy Finance Corporation and other leading investors. We have aspirations to be one of the biggest global businesses in supporting nature based solutions to climate change.
Our analyses help farmers become more resilient, financial institutions provide the financing needed and agricultural supply chains become carbon neutral.
We are growing at pace in this exciting and swiftly evolving space and our team is composed of global experts who are passionate about delivering real solutions to climate change. Our Chief Scientist is the former Chief Scientist for UNEP and Executive Director of the European Environment Agency. Our management team also includes previous CEOs of global energy companies, heads of business development and technology at successful global data businesses and startups.
We are looking for a motivated and passionate individual with a background in earth observation data and systems modelling, with a strong desire to make a positive impact on the world.
This role presents the opportunity to have not only meaningful impact on global climate, food security and biodiversity solutions but also share in the growth of the company, with the successful candidate to be offered share options at an early stage in our company journey.
This role is remote anywhere in the world. The team works out of the UK, Continental Europe, Australia, Canada, Middle East and Africa and all speak English fluently. This role reports into our Chief Scientist.
What skills and experience do I need?
Essential Skills, Knowledge & Qualifications
- A Higher degree (MSc or PhD) in Earth Observation and GeoSciences with a focus on Earth Observation and In-situ Data Analytics
- A growing track record of research and publications in the relevant field
- A working knowledge of current earth observation systems, EO data assimilation and applications specifically relating to the fields of climate change, geosciences and biodiversity
- Have a working knowledge of the state of the art in EO modelling, statistical and related IT tools and able to utilise these effectively
- Have an up to date knowledge of in situ related data sources used for Cal/Val processes
- Able to effectively manage complex data and reports, providing management and statistical information as require
- An ability to conduct statistical analysis to integrate expert knowledge with EO data
The ideal candidate will also have skills and experience in these areas:
- An interest in working in a commercial environment to deliver evidence-based solutions to support climate, land and conservation policy
- Experience of working in a team
- Able to communicate clearly, concisely and accurately in plain language
- Experience working with multiple lines of evidence and capable of producing quality scientific writing
- Skills in wider ecological modelling
- Present work to clients, stakeholders and collaborators
- Contribute to writing the results for publication in the peer reviewed literature
To apply please contact us at email@example.com with a CV.